While SoundCloud is well-known for its music streaming capabilities, it offers a plethora of unique tools and features that can help creators maximise their presence and achieve greater success. In this article, we'll delve into some great ways to get the most out of SoundCloud.
Run a Teaser Campaign
Build pre-release momentum to your campaign by uploading snippets to SoundCloud in synchronisation with other social platforms. You can then grow your followers by directing them to SoundCloud to listen. Here is a quick step-by-step strategy:
- Upload a 30-second snippet of an upcoming track.
- DM fans via social accounts to announce that a preview of your track is available to listen to on SoundCloud (Preferably with an accompanying link for ease).
- If you are a Next Pro User, swap the preview audio with the full-length version upon release to maintain your stats (Plays, likes, comments, reposts).
Important: If you're releasing via a distributor's supply chain, please ask your distributor whether merging the teaser with the full-length supply chain delivery will be possible.
Tip: Tease each release on an EP, one each day or week to heighten awareness.
Upload Exclusive Audio
Grow your fan connections and garner additional feedback by uploading additional content. This can help to fill the gap between releases, and maintain engagement using SoundCloud's tools:
- Exclusive content can be featured in the prominent exclusive homepage module
- Any additional content appears in the feed on the homepage of all your followers
- Shareable exclusive content could include demos, acapellas, covers, audio commentary, announcements, and more!
Tip: Upload unique audio messages to your fans to announce a tour or a new release
Hot Contests and Giveaways
Give your fans the chance to win something from their favourite artist by hosting content and providing giveaways in exchange for their engagement! You can host a variety of competitions on SoundCloud, such as remix contests or stem releases. Here is an example of a remix contest:
- Announce to fans via socials with an audio message on SoundCloud.
- Drop stems for a limited amount of time and enable download so that fans are able to access them directly on SoundCloud.
- Ask fans to submit directly to SoundCloud using a specific #, or have them submit directly via email.
Important: Although you do not need permission to host a competition, you are completely liable.
Tip: Upload the top five fan submissions to a playlist and share them with fans to build additional engagement and show appreciation for their hard work.
Monitor and foster your performance with SoundCloud's real-time statistics. These can be used to increase your growth by identifying areas with the highest amount of fan engagement, as well as those with the greatest opportunities for improvement. Here are some key areas it focuses on:
- SoundCloud is the only platform where you can see exactly who your fans are
- View the number of likes, comments, and reposts in addition to plays
- View the countries and cities where you have the highest number of views and followers
- Know your reach through playlist adds